This article provides information about how to covert an existing pulldown field to be a user pulldown.
In Versions 6.6.0 and newer, a user pulldown can be created such that the items in the field will be members of a user group. You may have manually created this type of pulldown in an older version of Tracker. You can convert this pulldown to be a user pulldown. The advantage of doing this is that when users are added or removed from the user group, Tracker will automatically update the items in the pulldown field to reflect the changes.
Use the following steps to convert the pulldown field to be a user pulldown:
The field is now configured as a user pulldown.
- Ensure you have a user group configured with the members that you want listed as items in the pulldown. If you don't already have a user group, create a new one.
If there are users listed as items in the pulldown that are no longer active users in the system (and therefore cannot be added to the user group), these items will be marked as obsolete when you change the field to be a user pulldown. Any records that have the obsolete user selected for the field will remain intact.
- Ensure that the labels for the option menu items in the pulldown field match the "Name" of each user account in the user group. For example, if your pulldown currently has the following items:
You will need to edit each item in the pulldown so that the Item Label matches what is displayed as "Name" in the User Accounts List. In other words, change "Evans, Mia" to be "Mia Evans".
- Click on the Admin icon
- Click on the Fields link
- Click on the Edit button to the left of the field you wish to convert to a user pulldown
- For the option "User Pulldown", select "Yes". For the "User Group" option, select the user group that contains the members that you want as the items in the pulldown field.
- Click OK to save the changes
If you converted an existing pulldown field to be a user pulldown without updating the option menu item labels to match the user's "Name" as it is displayed on the User Accounts List, the items that were configured in the pulldown before the change are marked as obsolete and new items have been created for each user in the group you selected. For example, if your pulldown had these items before the change:
After the change, you will have these items:
Evans, Mia (marked as obsolete)
Johnson, Susan (marked as obsolete)
Smith, John (marked as obsolete)
Please use the following steps to update your existing records to use the non-obsolete item:
- Ensure you have a backup of your database as there is not a way to undo these changes except to restore a backup copy of your data. Click on one of the following links for the backup instructions that match your situation:
I am a hosted service customer (Tracker is installed on one of NetResults' servers)
Tracker is installed on my own server
- Click on the Home icon
- Click on the Preferences link in the upper right corner of the page
- Scroll down to the "Query Page Pulldown Settings" section and check the box for "Include Obsolete Items" and click OK to save the change
- Click on the Query icon
- Click on the Clear button
- Select the desired Project and Form (select only one project and form). If needed, click on the "Get Fields" button. Locate the user pulldown field and select one of the items (e.g. "Smith, John"), then click Run Query.
- Click on the Edit Records link in the upper right corner of the page
- Select the non-obsolete item for this user (e.g. If the obsolete item is "Smith, John", the new item is "John Smith"). Click OK to save the change, then click OK to confirm the change.
- Click on the Query icon and repeat the above steps for each obsolete item
- After making the changes, you may wish to change your preferences such that obsolete items are no longer displayed on the Query Page. If so, click on the Home icon, click on the Preferences link and UNcheck the box for "Include Obsolete Items" and click OK.