This article provides information about User Pulldown fields available in Version 6.6.0 and newer.
View a Flash demo that describes how to create a user pulldown or review the information below.
User Pulldown fields are fields that have the members of a user group configured as the option menu items. Examples of how to use this field type:
In a Product or Web Site Development environment, you may want to create a "Fixed By" field to note which Developer, Help Desk or Support Engineer fixed an issue and have that information saved in the record for ease of generating reports (e.g. the number of issues fixed by Developer One last month). Similarly, you may want to create a "Tested By" field to note which QA Engineer tested the fix for a issue.
You can also use this field type to "pre-assign" a record to a user (e.g. you want to assign a Developer to fix a particular issue before the record moves to the "In Development" step).
To create a User Pulldown field use the steps below. Or, if you manually created a pulldown with user's names and wish to convert this field to be a user pulldown, review this Knowledge Base article
You can configure the following items to use the new User Pulldown field:
- Login as Admin and click on the Admin icon
- Click on the Fields link
- Click on the Add Field button
- Select "Pulldown" and click Continue
- Enter a name for the field and set the "User Pulldown" option to "Yes", then select a group in "User Group". For the rest of the settings, refer to the Field Types and Properties Help section.
- Click OK to save the field
- Click on the Manage Forms for this Field button to add the field to the desired form(s)
- Click on a form in the Available Forms column on the right and click Add. If the form has existing records, you will be prompted to set the value of the user pulldown field in these records. If you do not wish to set the value of this field to be a specific user, you can select "TBD". TBD will be set for the field in all existing records. Otherwise, refer to the Fields and Forms Help section for details on the options available for setting the value in existing records.
- You can configure the field so that a user who performed an action is saved in the record (e.g. developer who fixed an issue, QA engineer who tested an issue).
- Email Rules can be set to notify the user selected in the User Pulldown.
- Select the User Pulldown as criteria in queries and charts.
Configure the User Pulldown to save the user who performed an action
You can configure the field to save the user who performed an action (e.g. developer who fixed an issue, QA engineer who tested an issue, support engineer who resolved an issue) by making it an "invisible" task field:
- Login as Admin and click on the Admin icon.
- Click on the Workflows link.
- Choose the desired workflow in the pulldown at the top. The page will be updated to display its properties.
- Expand the state that has the transition you wish to modify.
- Click on the Manage link to the right of the "Transitions" section.
- Click on the Task Fields button to the left of the transition you wish to modify.
- In the right column, locate and click on the User Pulldown, then click on the Add button.
- Set Input Type to "Invisible" and set Initial Value to "<Login User>", then click Update to save the changes.
For more information, please review the Workflow Transitions section of the Online Help Guide.
Set Email Rules to notify the user selected in the User Pulldown
You can set email rules to notify the user selected in the User Pulldown. For example, you can notify a QA Engineer in advance that they have been assigned to test an issue.
To configure an email rule to notify the user selected in the User Pulldown, use the Add a Rule steps and select the User Pulldown in the Notification List.
Select the User Pulldown as criteria in a query
Use the steps in the Online Help Guide to either run an ad-hoc query or add a saved query and select one or more values available in User Pulldown. For example, you may want to see the list of issues tested by QA Engineer Two. To run this query:
- Login to Tracker and click on the Search icon.
- Click on the Clear button to clear out any previously used criteria.
- Locate the Tested By field and select "QA Engineer Two", then click Run Query to see the results.
Select the User Pulldown as criteria in a chart
Use the steps in the Online Help Guide to add a saved chart and select the User Pulldown in either the Perform Calculations... or Breakdown By... section. For example, if you want to run a chart that shows how many issues were fixed by each developer, use the following steps:
- Login to Tracker and click on the Metrics icon.
- Click on the Add button to the right of the Saved Charts pulldown.
- Enter a name for the chart, select the Saved Chart Type and Group (if applicable), then click Next.
- For Default Chart Layout, we would recommend selecting one of the Bar, Column or Table options. In the Calculate the... section, select "number of records moved to 'Fixed' which passed through '<Any State>'". In the Perform Calculations... section, select "For every 'Fixed By'". For the rest of the available options, please refer to the Saved Chart Criteria section of the Online Help Guide.
- Click on the Add button to save the new chart.
- The new chart will be selected in the Saved Chart pulldown. Click on the Show Chart button to run it.